As winter weather approaches, we want to remind parents/guardians, students, and staff about Burnaby School District weather related school closure announcements.
For the latest SFU campus updates please follow:
- Campus status will be posted on ca and on Twitter @SFU.
- Road reports for the Burnaby Campus can be found on the SFU Road Report page.
- Transit and bus services – follow Translink on Twitter @Translink or subscribe to Transit Alerts for the status of public transit.
Snowfall During School Hours
- All schools will remain OPEN, unless there is heavy snowfall, damage or other circumstances
(e.g. power outage) that make it impossible to operate safely.
- The district will do its best to communicate school or district-wide closures or cancellations by 7 AM. If NO closures are announced, schools will be OPEN.
- The district will communicate bus cancellations by 7 AM. Please note, if buses are still running, there may be some delays.
- School closures or bus cancellations will be posted on the front page of the district website and tweeted out (@burnabyschools). However, please keep in mind that there may be situations where this is not always possible, for example, power outages or technical problems.
- PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL OR DISTRICT OFFICE.
- The most reliable way to learn of school closures is to listen for updates on the following radio stations. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE RADIO STATION. :
Safety is a Shared Responsibility
- Student /staff safety is always our first priority and it is a shared responsibility.
- If schools are open, and you wish to keep your child /children home due to weather conditions, you may absolutely do so – just let your school know of this decision. You can reach the Office at 604.296.9036.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for their child’s safe travel to school and during winter weather conditions and we encourage you to walk elementary children to the door of their school.
- If you do not live on the mountain, please try to have an emergency contact that will be able to pick up your child should conditions prevent you from getting to the school when/if the school closes.
With your cooperation and support related to winter weather procedures, we can achieve safe conditions for all.