UHE Community Initiatives in November and December:
- Toy Drive – Donations accepted until Thursday, December 17th
We are collecting toys for children of low-income families. If you would like to contribute, please drop off donations of NEW, unwrapped toys in the box outside the office entrance. They will be donated to Burnaby Christmas Bureau Toy Drive. Please see the attached wish list for gift ideas!
- Sponsor a Senior – Donations accepted until Friday, December 11th
In the spirit of holiday giving, UHE will be supporting two seniors in need through the Burnaby Christmas Bureau. UHE students and families have the opportunity to make a donation online by clicking DONATE NOW. Your contribution will go towards purchasing holiday gifts and food for two seniors.
- Gift of Warmth (Socks) – Donations accepted until Friday December 11th
Students have the opportunity to give the gift of warmth this winter! Students can donate a pair of NEW men’s socks to be given to a local charity. Donated socks can be brought to school, where students will have the opportunity to write notes to be given to those in need through Lookout Housing and Health Society in New Westminster.
- Food Drive – Non-perishable food donations collected until Friday, December 18th
Since 2008 Quest Food Exchange has provided a dignified shopping experience providing healthy food, personal and household items through non-for-profit grocery markets. They have also provided snacks for over 3000 children at inner city schools. Please give cans free of dents, unbroken seals, and appropriate expiry dates. Please consider high protein, whole grain, lower sodium (salt), lower sugar items such as:
- Canned fish, chicken or turkey
- Canned black beans, chickpeas, and kidney beans
- Dried Lentils
- Brown rice, barley and whole wheat pasta
- Powdered skim milk
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruit
- Hearty stews with 10g or more protein
We encourage student involvement, it sparks conversation and provides a valuable and meaningful experience of kindness, giving and supporting your community.
We truly thank you for your generosity in supporting our community that needs us more than ever!